Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks

Hiking in the Kishwaukee Forest Preserve, I heard an unfamiliar bird call, that sounded at first like a Robin, but I knew wasn't.  I spotted the bird high in a tree close to the hiking trail, but until I zoomed in on it and focussed it in my viewfinder, I wasn't sure what it was. As soon as I spotted the red triangle on the breast, I knew it was a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak - below (5/15/10).

A week later I thought I'd try finding it again, and sure enough I was lucky enough to photograph both the female (top below - 5/22/10) and the male (bottom). I was able to get sharper photographs this time round.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi John,
I've come over from Val's place to look at your birds. You have some awesome shots! This is a very colorful bird. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Chesney said...

Pure luck to get both a female and male - and what sharp images! That male is a beauty!