Monday, June 28, 2010

Bald Eagles

Continuing the raptor theme, the first time I saw a Bald Eagle was in Ketchakan, Alaska (2004). I was very excited, and figured after our trip to Alaska I wouldn't see another one until I return to Alaska ... some day. Well ... a few years ago, I was driving to school (work) on a January morning and a Bald Eagle flew over the road in front of me. At first I didn't believe it, but no other bird remotely resembles a Bald Eagle. I immediately called my girlfriend and said, "Guess what I just saw!"  Would you believe it - Bald Eagles in Illinois?


A few days later after some research, we learned that in just the past few years, Bald Eagles have returned to the Rock River and Illinois River areas for their winter grounds. We took a trip down to Starved Rock State Park (an hours drive south of Rockford) and were pleasantly surprised by the numbers of Bald Eagles making Illinois their winter home. Above and below are a few of the pics I took at Starved Rock State Park.


3 comments:

~Val said...

I remember that phone call!

Of the 3 photos, I like the second the best. The water through the trees and the filmy branches make a great backdrop for this beautiful bird.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Val...I also love the close up of this beauty...the last picture is beautiful too, how lucky to capture that many in the same tree! Awesome!

Christine said...

I just found your blog. It's very nice! You definitely get around to photos. I didn't know we had so much variety in northern Illinois. Just a note, I've heard that Bald Eagles can be seen on occasion in Wonder Lake, Il. Maybe you'll catch them hanging out around the water out there some day.