Friday, July 22, 2011

Bushtit - Western Birds

A Bushtit, Crystal Cove State Park, Newport Beach, CA; 6/14/2011.
A Bushtit (Above) became my #296 on my Life List on June 13. They are a chickadee-shaped bird, but even smaller, only growing about 4 1/2" in length with a small wingspan of 6". The Bushtits I encountered were always in small flocks in perpetual motion, buzzing from from bush to bush. The "Pacific Coast" subspecies (in contrast to the "Interior" species) is the type I saw. They are more brown overall (the interior is more gray) especially with a brownish crown and wingtips.
A Bushtit taking flight, Crystal Cove State Park, CA; 6/14/2011
Bushtits hardly ever stopped moving (Above), and I was fortunate to get a clear shot at a couple of them, as they tended to stay hidden, keeping the bush between me and them.
My first capture of a Bushtit, Crystal Cove State Park, CA; 6/13/2011
Bushtits range year round along the Pacific coastal states of Washingtom, Oregon and California, as well as the interior states of Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, and south into Mexico.

Sunset of the Day
Another Bauman Park sunset, Cherry Valley, IL; 11/12/2007


No comments: