Monday, July 5, 2010

Cedar Waxwing

Another bird sporting a crest is one of my favorites - Cedar Waxwings.  They seem to band together in small flocks. I've seen them foraging on the ground, picking berries in  bushes, as well as perching high in trees and suddenly dive bombing to the ground. I always get a kick out of seeing them, because they are so colorful, have a unique silhouette, and always seem to be having fun flittering about.

Of the four Waxwing photos here, my favorite is (Above: 6-14-10, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina). He seems to be looking at me with as much curiosity as I looking at him.  It was almost as if he was grinning at me, wondering what the heck I was doing with that big black metal/plastic/glass monstrosity in front of my face - "You know I can still see you hiding behind that thing," he is thinking.

Below are three more decent Cedar Waxwing photos: Below top, also 6-14-10, North Carolina; Below Middle: 5-17-09, Rock Cut State Park,IL; Below bottom: 8-2-09, also at Rock Cut.



No comments: