Friday, May 18, 2012

Then there were 10 - Brewers Sparrows on Green Kingfisher Pond

Three Brewer's Sparrows, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.
In April of 2012, I made a second visit to the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, near Sierra Vista, AZ,  and discovered "Greenfisher Pond," which for some reason I totally overlooked on my first visit in December of 2011. This pond is a great attraction for wintering birds looking for water in the Arizona desert. On my last visit I spent my entire birding hike following the San Pedro River and didn't even realize this pond existed. It goes to show that I should have visited the San Pedro House and picked up a map before I started my hike.  In December, I understand, this pond would have been quite "birdy." Now, five months later, there were still birds surrounding the pond, but for the most part,  wintering water fowl would have already vacated the area. American Coots were the only water fowl present, but there were land birds to see: Spotted Towhee, Red-winged Blackbirds, Vermillion Flycatchers, Wilson's Warblers, Lucy Warblers, Common Yellowthroats, Lincoln Sparrows, Northern Rough-winged Swallows, White-winged Doves, a Western Meadowlark, a Cassin's Kingbird and small gang of Brewer's Sparrows (Above). No, I didn't see a Green Kingfisher, but it would have been cool if I did. Since I have become a more avid birder (instead of an accidental birder), I have made it a point to pay closer attention to sparrows, So when I saw the PBB's (Plain Brown Birds - I didn't make this term up) feeding on a bank of the pond, I zoomed in on them with my Sigma 150-500mm lens, and saw that they were Brewer's Sparrows. These Western Sparrows are not present in my homeland of Rockford, IL, so I was glad to get some photos.
... and then there were ten...a family of Brewer's Sparrows, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.
I took a couple of photos, put my camera down for a second, and when I looked into the viewfinder there were six Brewer's Sparrows sitting on the bank. I took a couple more pics, and suddenly there were ten of them (Above). I didn't even see them arrive. They were just appeared. The shapes of the bills and the slight streaking on the breasts of the sparrows nearest the water edge suggest that these are younger. Adult Brewer's Sparrows would have a cleaner breast. Also, the majority of the Brewer's at the water edge look as if they are waiting for something or perhaps even watching an adult approaching, expecting a treat?
A Lincoln Sparrow, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.

Another Lincoln Sparrow, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.
Other Sparrows at the Green Kingfisher Pond included a few Lincoln Sparrows (Above) and Song Sparrows (Below).
Song Sparrow, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.

Another Song Sparrow, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.
White-crowned Sparrows and a Pyrrhuloxia, San Pedro Riparian NCA, AZ; 4/10/2012.
And of course, there were White-crowned Sparrows (Above) abound, especially near the feeders at the San Pedro House.

No comments: