Saturday, October 29, 2011

Great Egrets, Horicon Marsh NWR


A congregation of Great Egrets congregated in Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin; 10/2/2011.
 While visiting the great bird sanctuary of the Horicon Marsh NWR in Wisconsin in early October, I saw more Great Egrets than I have ever seen at one time. Usually when I see Great Egrets, they are either solo or in pairs, so it was a treat to see so many together.

Egrets, American Coots, and White Pelicans enjoying a sunny afternoon at the Horicon Marsh NWR, WI; 10/2/2011.
Not only did I see a huge 'heronry' of Great Egrets wading in the Marsh at the northern edge of the Refuge, but as I was walking on the floating boardwalk taking pictures of Palm Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers, a wedge of Great Egrets flew right by me and I was able to get a few good BIF's of them (Below).
A graceful Great Egret flew past me, HMNWR, WI; 10/2/2011.
It's a great contrast of the bright orange/yellow bill on one end with the pitch black legs on the other end separated by a large white body.
Another Great Egret flew past me for a perfect photo in the morning light, HMNWR, WI; 10/2/2011.
According to whatbird.com
a collective group of egrets can be called a "congregation", "heronry", "RSVP", "skewer", or a "wedge" of egrets. I don't make this up, folks.

1 comment:

~Val said...

Wow - LOVE photo #3!!