Sunday, August 28, 2011

Yellow-bellied & Olive-sided Flycatchers: Birding on the Lake Superior Coast, MN


Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Two Harbors, MN; 8/9/2011.
 Continuing our trip up the beautiful coast of Lake Superior in Minnesota, we stopped in the small town of Two Harbors to check out a Light House (Below bottom), and to my delight there was a fantastic trail running along the bluffs overlooking the Lake Superior, and had many birds calling this area their home. I was mostly searching for shore birds and warblers, which are species sorely lacking on my Life List. The only warbler I could find was a juvenile Yellow-rumped Myrtle, and the only shore birds I saw were Herring Gulls, both of which I have seen plenty of in my birding life. However, I did manage to add two new birds to my Life List: the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (Above) and the Olive-sided Flycatcher (Below top), #'s 322 and 323 on my Life List.
Olive-sided Flycatcher,Two Harbors, MN; 8/9/2011

The Light House in Two Harbors, MN; 8/9/2011
We travelled further north up the coast and stopped to check out several more scenic areas, such as Gooseberry Falls State Park, Silver Bay Marina, and Split Rock Light House State Park (Photos Below), neither of them added to my bird photography but they added some nice images to my natural scenery photography files.
A man-made breakwater leading out to an island, Silver Bay, MN; 8/9/2011.

Gooseberry Falls State Park, MN; 8/9/2011.

Gooseberry Falls State Park, MN; 8/9/2011.

Gooseberry Falls State Park, MN; 8/9/2011.

Lake Superior in the background, Gooseberry Falls State Park, MN; 8/9/2011.

Split Rock Light House, MN; 8/9/2011.
Bird List from the Northern Coast of Lake Superior in Minnesota: American Crows, Herring Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls, Cnada Geese, Mallard Ducks, Turkey Vulture, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, American Robin, Black-capped Chickadees, Cedar Waxwings (below), Song Sparrows, Savanah Sparrows, Lincoln Sparrows, American Goldfinches, House Finches, and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.
Ceadar Waxwing, Two Harbors, MN; 8/9/2011.

Another look at the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher looking at me; Two Harbors, MN; 8/9/2011.
Sunset of the Day
What better sunset to show than a Lake Superior sunset from the Porcupine Mountains Rec. Area in Upper Michigan; 5/25/2008. 


No comments: