Sunday, April 8, 2012

American Avocet - again

American Avocet, Famosa Slough, San Diego, CA; 4/7/2012.
What Luck! Yesterday I posted photos of my first sightings of American Avocets from last December in the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch in Gilbert, AZ. I was lamenting that the Avocets I saw were in their non-breeding plumage and that someday I would love to see them in their breeding plumage. Well, just yesterday I saw a pair of American Avocets in their full regalia of color (Above) while I was taking my Spring Break in the Southwest. Val and I were once again in Arizona, and on a whim, Val and I set out towards San Diego for a day trip, and we discovered this great wetlands, Famosa Slough, which is not too many blocks inland from the ocean beaches. We spent a couple of hours hiking the trails around the slough. I saw up to 40 different species of birds, ands among them were these beautiful birds.


A pair of American Avocets in their breeding plumage,  Famosa Slough, San Diego, CA; 4/7/2012.


No comments: