Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sandhill Cranes, Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge

A pair of Sandhill Cranes flying by at Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin; 10/2/2011.
I never get tired of seeing and photographing Sandhill Cranes. They are residents of the Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge in Southern Wisconsin, and I have seen some the last three times I have visited (Spring, Summer, and Fall). It's hard not to appreciate their huge 46" long bodies taking off in flight. I have been lucky the last two visits that I have been able to get fairly close for good photos without seeming to alarm them.

A pair of Sandhill Cranes landed across the road from me while I was photographing some Greater Yellowlegs, and stayed there for quite some time, totally ignoring me, HMNWR, WI; 10/2/2011.

One of the two Sandhill Cranes which landed in part of the Marsh.

Soon a motorist drove by and sent the Sandhills to take off. I would have loved this photo if I didn't chop off its right wing tip.

The pair flew off West then circled East. They became close enough for me to get them both in the same shot.

No comments: