Thursday, June 30, 2011

Indigo Buntings; May Migration to Northern Illinois

An Indigo Bunting graced our backyard feeder this spring, Rockford, IL; 5/7/2011.
I was both surprised and pleased when I saw a flash of bright blue pass our living room window late mourning in the first week of May. Upon investigation, I witnessed an Indigo Bunting picking away at the seed in our open feeder amidst a gross of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks which have been monopolizing the feeders for about a week at that point. Little Indigo stayed for a few minutes then flew off (I have not seen him at our feeder since). Our neighbor told Val a day later that a pretty blue bird was at her feeder the day after. (She stold my bird!). The grass is always greener ...

An Indigo Bunting, Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve, Rockford, IL; 5/16/2010.
There is an area in Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve, where I have had good luck spotting Indigos. This spring was no exception. Even though I have been lucky enough to run across Indigo Buntings several times during my May birding expeditions to the local locations, I am always happy to see one. There isn't any other bird that looks quite like an Indigo (Eastern Bluebirds and Blue Jays have blue, but neither are as solid blue as an Indigo). I think I can safely say that this Bunting is one of my local favorites.
An Indigo Bunting keeping a wary eye on me, Rock Cut State Park, Rockford, IL; 6/5/2011.
This spring, I started exploring a different area of Rock Cut State Park - the dog-training area - which is turning out to be a great place for birding - when there aren't a lot of dogs scaring the birds away, that is. This is where I spotted the Indigo (Above).

5 comments:

Chesney said...

I love that blue....never have seen one of these either!

Jules said...

Found your image on a search for IL blue birds. Yes, we had 2 indiego buntings this week, the "first" week of May. I'm 55 miles SW of Rkfd.

Pam Snow, Innkeeper, Parkside Bed and Breakfast said...

I just saw one This is May 10th mother's day 2020! That is my mother's day gift!! 💙💙💙🐦🐦
DeKalb

p bauler said...

I saw 2 of them today in my backyard. I had never seen birds so blue. I had to gp inside to google them. They were beautiful.

p bauler said...

Forsyth, IL